View Single Post
Old 02-12-24, 10:33 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked 1,952 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Whew!

I forgot about this thread. To be frank, you are not wrong. It sort of reminds me of that guy in the Lego movie, where he just likes everything that everyone else does - a complete lack of originality. You can sort of make the same argument here. What's the point of asking what other people like? Just to like it too?..because someone else does? What's even worse, it is even more apparent in other threads that I have started, like the 'votes are in: culmination of favorite rides of BF members' or some nonsense like that, or even 'the top 10 quintessential C&V bikes'. I don't know why, but a part of me was, and still is, fascinated with why some items (and in this case, bicycles) have a perception of value/quality over others...maybe its FOMO (fear of missing out) as in, 'Oooh, everyone else says its great, so it must be! I must get it and try it for myself!' I'd like to think I've grown since then. Maybe I've just regressed!

Well, God is not without a sense of humor, and it turns out that my favorite (to use that horrible word) bike is a complete steaming garbage pile, a waste of steel better served as gutter flashing (the Le Grande). And while it actually does ride pretty nice compared to a lot of bikes I've ridden, that has very little to do with why it's my favorite. I love parody, and find humor in strange places. I absolutely love seeing the double takes that happen when I show up to a respectable vintage gathering and single handedly take the whole thing down a couple of notches. I love seeing the surprise, the disdain, the shock, the admiration, all of it. Its a really fun thing to bring out into the light, because everyone's got an opinion, and its fun hearing what people think, especially those who seemingly don't approve.

So, while this thread is complete vanity, at least it as become a good excuse to look at pretty bikes
That "steaming garbage pile" has become one of my favorite bikes on this forum for exactly the reasons you describe. I love the sarcasm and "inside joke" behind its build.

I think if you did the reverse? Ie put the low end "steaming pile of garbage" components from the Le Grande onto a Confente? I don't think that would work in the same way, and would prob generate negative emotions, at least in me. I thought of this when I posted a bike for sale in the eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II that has possibly one of the lowest end 3 piece crank ever made? And and Shimano Light Action rear derailleur. It shouldn't have bugged me, but I guess I am a snob??
Likes For Rocket-Sauce: