Old 02-12-24, 03:09 PM
Silver Steve

Bikes: 2106 Giant TCR / 2021 HUFFY Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxey
Making some slow progress on my light restoration of a '91 Rockhopper Comp. I installed 2.1" Schwalbe Billy Bonkers tires (thanks to mjj1015 for the tip) and a Ritchey saddle I picked up for cheap. Also hit the paint with some cleaner wax and touched up the few scratches as best as I could - not surprisingly this oddball green color is very hard to find an exact match. I found a paint that is very close, but a little too light, so I may try mixing in a little metallic gray and see if I can match it more closely for one more thin coat. In any case overall the bike is fairly pristine, so I'm not going to sweat a few cosmetic imperfections, life's too short, blah blah blah...

Next is to modernize the cockpit with a stem quill adapter, but am still unsure about how to go about handling the front brake cable hanger. I've done things kind of bass-ackwards by handling cosmetics before mechanicals, so still need to free up the sticky trigger shifters (plenty of youtube solutions available it seems), grease all bearings and lube or replace cables where necessary.

This obviously isn't going to work:
Sweet rockhopper! Love the colorways of these 90's Specialized bikes.
You could always use a fork mounted cable stop. That's what I did on my Rockhopper.
Likes For Silver Steve: