View Single Post
Old 02-14-24, 04:22 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked 2,071 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Thalia949

Was there any mention if they would repeat Cuba next year?
Indeed. I suspect once word gets out how inexpensive it is, coupled with how nice and welcoming the Cuban people were, it will probably explode.

Funny, someone commented, (OK, I don't know how to do multiple quotes) on "Vintage bikes?? Here we just call them "bikes""

Yup. The person I gave my PUCH to just needs a bike to get to/from work with an actual braking system and a seat with more than just bare springs (epilady? epiman??). He was baffled by the rules and regs of the Eroica rides.

If you go, don't bring your grail bike. Build a bike from a co-op or buy a cheap one on Next-door, Etc.

The Senator, a PUCH bike for Montgomery Wards served me well. For a couple days I happily peddled around Havana and would use nothing more than a small chain + pet lock to lock it outside where ever I was. Only once I was asked to pay to lock/park in a lot. It was 50 pesos or about a quarter in a very tight packed tourist area.

Lots of mopeds. Electric mopeds that silently sneak up on you and scare the crap out of you. Remember, communist Cuba = free electricity.
Most cars give a polite "toot" a half block away. The other traffic is pedal powered rickshaws. I rarely saw those in motion, usually just sitting around hawking rides.

I brought some jerseys, (Erickson) with matching socks, Some Castelli jerseys (local outfit, about 4 blocks from my house. They donate a lot), some inner tubes, chains, cables, tools and patch kits.

As I gave a jersey/socks kit to Eriel, he noted if not for himself, he knows who to give them to where they are needed. I also gave him my CO2 pump and 3 cartridges. My fear is that after he uses them, he won't have access to more.

I will say, one HUUUGE pleasure of being on a bike was the 100% avoidance of the bike taxi and taxicab hustlers. If I had a dime for every…."YOU WANT TAXI"

Post Sunday ride and after giving my bike away; conversations would go like this:

You want Taxi?

No, I'm walking.

Where are you going.

For a walk.

But where are you going?

I don't know. Just walking after dinner.

Oh, you want dinner? I know great place.

No, I ate. That's why I'm walking.

[couple moments of intense staring and deciphering]

You want taxi?