Old 02-15-24, 01:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7705 Post(s)
Liked 3,624 Times in 1,910 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I remember their higher to mid range stuff having the goofiest stem containing hydraulic fluid so instead of using full cables or going for the early but existing Shimano hydro STI levers they did something on their own which was quite silly and unneeded.
Originally Posted by PeteHski
My 2019 Defy Advanced Pro has a slightly quirky box stem design with integrated brake hoses which is not the most elegant solution, but otherwise works fine and the frame is as good as anything else in it’s class. I noticed they redesigned the stem a couple of years later and the revised version looked much neater.
HyRd brakes also use a mechanical/hydro hybrid as did Giant with its proprietary Conduct brake system---the difference being the Hy/Rd worked really well and Giant's system maybe not so much.

(https://trpcycling.com/product/hy-rd/) "Using an open hydraulic system it’s compatible with Shimano and SRAM 11 speed road shift levers. For compatibility questions contact us to ensure this caliper will work with your existing levers."

(https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/conduct) "The key to the Conduct hydraulic brake system is its cable-actuated master cylinder. This unique design is integrated into the faceplate of the stem. It's a clean setup that combines the simplicity of mechanical disc brakes with the power and smooth feel of hydraulic. It's easy to install, too. There's no need to replace your mechanical brake lever or handlebar tape - simply shorten your current cable housing, then mount the new master cylinder on your Giant Contact SL or Contact stem."

Maybe Giant had a contract for a lot of Shimano mech STI levers but wanted to sell disc bikes? Still I wouldn't put Giant down for just that one choice.

At least with its prior (bike-shop level) offerings, Giant usually offered about the same level of features for a little less money than Trek/Spec/C'dale ... IMO.