Old 02-15-24, 02:58 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 2,870 Times in 1,563 Posts
I would suggest scheduling some time to talk to your builder......email only goes so far (as I was told by a boss a while back)

My observation is that most established frame builders have a certain style, design and approach that works and are not "custom fabricators" that will do anything. Many do not really discuss details of tubes as they have tubing they work with

not sure if how much you want to specify works within the builder's sweet spot

is is possible your builder is super busy and just not a great scheduler?

My custom experience was good. I had followed the builder for years and had met him in person on a Cino ride. ( as it is easy to find if you look at any of my posts, the builder was Dave Kirk)

Process was

Put a deposit down, when your turn comes (no specific time frame is given but is was 6 months or so for me) then about a month to have a discussions, provide info, finalize design, tube payment, and the build took about a week. Then it got sent to Joe Bell for paint

Joe is a super nice person and paint was discussed with him several times as I had a bit of a challenging color request He is super booked, so the schedule was not a precise, but more I have the bike and will get to it soon, it is bubbling up on the work list, going to the booth now kinda schedule. I rolled with the vague schedule because I knew I was getting something special, Joe is real and that this is an artist thing.

final payment after paint done and bike in box to ship