View Single Post
Old 02-15-24, 05:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5067 Post(s)
Liked 8,368 Times in 3,951 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I don't know what sort of packs you're riding in but drafting 95 % of the time seems pretty moochy. No wonder you're always writing about losing a wheel and getting dropped. You're clearly riding with people who are out of your league.
This varies WIDELY with the situation. If you're on a fun group ride with a few buddies, you might be right...unless those buddies are quite a bit stronger, and have no issues with you just taking a short pull when you're able. Nothing wrong with that, either. Riding with better riders is an effective way to get better yourself. As a former racer of the sprinter variety, I'm pretty sure there were lots of races where my time in the wind was just a few hundred yards. My job was to be in a position to be able to use my best weapon at the finish, and do as little work as possible to get there. That's how the sprinter's game works. Taking pulls that don't benefit your success (or the success of your teammate, if that's your role), are a waste of effort. There is a local group ride I often do where I do a bigger share of time at the front that some others. That's fine. The fitness level of the riders in that group varies quite a bit, and the stronger riders set the pace. There are other rides I do which are populated by a LOT (100+) of strong, young, racer-boys/girls, and I'm sometimes stretched to the limits of my fitness. Most often, my time in the wind is closing gaps left by folks struggling more than me.