Old 02-16-24, 10:43 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26476 Post(s)
Liked 10,440 Times in 7,243 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
What tipped you off? Was it his constant need to play the “appeal to authority” fallacy by giving his super impressive cycling résumé in every post, telling us how many tens of thousands of miles he’s ridden on every type of bike and in every type of terrain… Or was it his claim to not understand the idea of “superior modulation,” and then — after the absurdity of that statement is pointed out – come back and tell us that he actually does understand it, but just wanted to see what the rest of us rubes might say about it?
...that's not, strictly speaking, an accurate description of Argument from authority. Which is described in many sources.

appeal to authority, or argumentum ad verecundiam, is a form of argument in which the opinion of an influential figure is used as evidence to support an argument.[1]
However, there is a related ad hominem argument contained in your post.

​​​​​​​It is also a fallacious ad hominem argument to argue that a person presenting statements lacks authority and thus their arguments do not need to be considered.
I guess with the number of straw man arguments you've presented me over the years, I should have known something was up. But I really thought better of you.
Likes For 3alarmer: