View Single Post
Old 02-16-24, 10:52 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
I have lived in the Tampa Bay area since I was 6 years old in the 70's. It used to be paradise here. Underpopulated and nice weather year round. The amount of people who have moved here is staggering. I thought I read the population increases by 300,000 per year and Tampa is a big destination. The effect is the somewhat quiet routes I had are filled in with building density and traffic. I'll admit I've been getting more spooked out there. I also ride around the Ocala National Forest. Although it can't be developed, the traffic on the bordering roads has also increased. I have been riding mostly on the forest roads. Oddly enough, it is very rare that I get yelled or honked at. There are some close passers, but that is an unfortunate part of bike riding. Also strange, I've had more yellers and honkers around the Ocala National Forest than in Tampa.

What breaks my heart is how much natural beauty there was in Florida. The beaches are full of condos and everything else gets paved over. It is my wish to leave here post retirement. The only thing I think I'll miss is spanish moss swaying from the old oaks.
I was born in '66 in St.Pete and lived near Central Ave towards the beaches and I go back often, I see what you mean. A lot has changed.