View Single Post
Old 02-16-24, 12:45 PM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 167 Posts
Five very fine racing frames, any of which could be built into a great retromod road bicycle.

Priorities vary, but I’d consider tyre clearance and frame weight as key factors. Having raced on 21-22mm tubulars in the 80s/90s I find modern 28mm-plus tubulars and clinchers so much better now and wouldn’t go back unless I was buying a rideable ex-team classic (not a replica or tribute, but an actual team bicycle).

The De Rosa looks like it has room for 28s, if that’s a factor for you, as long as they’ll fit between the chainstays. Hard to say for the others but mid-late 90s steel frames such as the Gazelle and Coppi often had minimal clearance, 25s or even 23.

As for weight, that also may or may not be a consideration, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a 1lb/400-500gm range across those frames. In a guessing game I’d expect the Coppi with its oversized down tube, and perhaps the Gazelle also with oversized tubing to be the heavyweights of this quintet, but they have threadless steerers which usually leads to a stem and headset weight saving so perhaps a wash.

I’ve found frames with threaded steerers and quill stems more versatile in terms of refining fit, although quill stems take much longer to swap, if that matters.

Personally I think the Gazelle is an unusual and distinctive frame among this group, probably not often seen outside Benelux, but it’s a fine selection to choose from.

If you’re building a retromod with integrated breake/gear shifters it won’t matter, but the Gzaelle and the Coppi don’t have down tube shift lever bosses.