View Single Post
Old 02-16-24, 07:27 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3493 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 1,159 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve_sr
No, I am not locked into using that case but it would have been convenient!

I think that I also have a couple of cardboard bike boxes in storage. These should also get me under the weight limit. Looks like I need to start looking for some more.

Another participant on this tour is using one of these:
https://sciconsports.com/us_en/aeroc...ue-tp053102023

It weighs about 23 lbs by itself but allows 27 lbs for the bike and any accessories.
My heavy touring bike is roughly 40 pounds. That and my S&S Backpack case add up to over 50. I carry the pedals and a few other things in my other checked bag to get it down to 49 pounds. (I am camping when I tour on that bike, need two checked bags.) And my rear rack will not fit in the S&S case either, so that goes in the other checked bag.

My last tour that I flew on had the luggage below. One pannier (front) was my personal item, the other (rear) was my carry on that I carried onto the plane. I wear my helmet onto the plane, put it in the overhead, I do not want any airline personnel to break it. The orange backpack was also checked. The black case is the S&S Backpack case with 90 percent of my bike in it.