View Single Post
Old 02-16-24, 09:21 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I get no flung oils on Dumonde or on the previously used Rock N Roll, the only time I ever got flung oil was using wet lubes. Neither of those two lubes I just mentioned got pasty, unless you don't wipe it down after every ride and let it go for several rides then they might. I had that problem with ProLink ProGold lube though, it felt a bit sticky when I wiped it down after each ride, I would have hated to seen what that would have been like after a few rides.

All lube companies that I have ever had and read from their instructions say to wipe down the chain after every ride, I assume the lube manufacture knows what they're talking about, vs what I might think otherwise, so I follow their directions. Even on my touring bike, which when touring with a load is rough on chains, I getting so far 7,500 miles on the chain, everyone else I have spoken to that had and used touring bikes for touring, averaged only 2,500 miles, (some only got 1,500, some got more), so I think I sticking with Dumonde Tech Lite! Once I saw that mileage on my chain starting to exceed well past 2,500 miles I switched all my bikes to Dumonde.

I had heard of Dumonde before but that was from forums, but I really learned about Dumonde from first hand reports from a couple of touring guys that were touring together, they claimed they averaged 10,000 miles on their chains, and I think they're probably correct, because my chain is almost 75% used up, but I'm using a lower quality chain, when it goes kablooey a local bike shop in town told me of a much better chain to use, but I can't recall it exactly, I think it was KMC X or something, but they claim it should last 25 to 50% longer then the lowend one that came on my bike. So should I decide to do a cross country trip, a new chain using Dumonde should take me all the way and back without having to replace it.
I have to admit, the above does sound good. I will consider, both lube and chains, and wiping after each ride. Even if a chain is decent and half the cost, so replacing twice as much, the stretching wears in the cogs to that spacing and then a new chain skips. So a pricier chain and lube, lasting longer, may improve cog life.