SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 543 Times in 360 Posts
Originally Posted by John Valuk
If you do, then after you have had a chance to test it, please share your observations in a thread here!

I bought the original Magicshine Seemee 200, and I also bought the Seemee 200 V2.0 when it came out (and which is still the tail light that I use regularly).

To get the modes that I like best with the Seemee 200 V2.0, I use "Smart", and let it switch between "Smart Day" and "Smart Night" modes based on the ambient light sensor.

I bought a Seemee 300 shortly after it first became available, expecting to use it as a bigger, brighter, higher-capacity version of the 200, but I never used it on a ride. When I was testing it out, it was doing something weird when in "Smart Night" mode, where it would for no apparent reason seem to flip back to "Smart Day" for a moment. I had some messages back-and-forth with Magicshine describing and discussing what I saw, tried their suggestions, recorded and sent them a video - and they ended up having me mail it back for a refund.

If your plan is to use it on constant (non-blinking) high, then the weirdness that I observed might not come into play. Or, perhaps I got a bad one, or they were still working out some kinks with a new model (they didn't offer to exchange).

One wish I would have for both the Seemee 200 and 300 would be for a way for the user to disable the downward-facing "tracing light" that automatically comes into play when it's dark out. It is not necessarily a bad thing, but I think that some people would prefer to have just the rear-facing light, and with maximum runtime.

I would also like it if I could manually assert the modes that "Smart Day" and "Smart Night" produce, without depending on the ambient light sensor (and the direction of the light, and whether the light is "shaded" where it is mounted).
Quick question-do these Magicshine lights stand up to their stated run times? I noticed in their specs that they're packing a relatively small amp hour battery. Thanks (1600mAh in the 300 Smart version)

Last edited by SpedFast; 02-17-24 at 12:22 PM.