View Single Post
Old 02-18-24, 09:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6242 Post(s)
Liked 4,256 Times in 2,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Lots of people have old chains - I have a bunch of old Suntour 6 speed chains NOS. There is no other option with those chains, so suggesting that connecting those chains the only way they can be connected is somehow dangerous boggles the mind.
”Lots of people” means you? The number of people who have crates of 1980s chains pales in comparison to the number of people using chains of more recent manufacture that should not be connected by reinstalling pins.

I never implied that it was “dangerous” to push pins back in but it can lead to chain failure on more modern chains.

There also is nothing keeping people from using 6/7/8 speed quick links on old 6 speed chains. It’s still a better way of putting a chain together.

Peened pins began with Shimano's 4.8mm spaced 8 speed system, not 9. It didn't come to Campy until 9 because their 8 speed was 7 speed spaced. But the one time pins go back to 1990 Dura Ace.
Well thank you for making my point.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!