Old 02-18-24, 04:17 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 142 Posts
Dear OP
You are not having "bad luck" with bicycle tires and tubes. You are purchasing the absolute cheapest products possible. And then you are wondering why they don't last, luck has absolutely nothing to do with it. And yes, things cost, that is just how our world is set up. And you don't need to know about TPI, or other esoteric tire casing facts (unless you want to) to get a reliable tire and tube. Just like I don't need to know how to figure out the stoichiometry for fuel/air combustion to drive a car, I just need the keys.
Folks have mentioned many good tires, all of those will serve you well. I happen to be a Schwalbe fan boi for the last decade or so. On my touring/around town bikes I use the "Marathon" and the Marathon Plus" models. They are long wearing, UV resistant, puncture resistant and a good deal when prorated by the mile. I'll be the first to acknowledge they are not high performance racing tires. But if your goal is to have a low maintenance experience, and an almost flat free future then these tires will fit the bill. But they do cost about $60 a copy (for the "Marathon Plus", less for the "Marathon"). That is a little spendy, but how much does it cost to have tires constantly disintegrate, get punctures and valves ripping out of the inner tube, aka "bad luck".
I usually purchase inner tubes that are made in Taiwan, both presta and schrader valves. They seem to have good quality control since over the decades I have not had any issues.

tl;dr get Schwalbe Marathon or Marathon Plus tires.
Likes For HelpSingularity: