Old 02-19-24, 11:23 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked 1,976 Times in 953 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It's raining here right now. Might have to skip the Tuesday ride if it doesn't stop.

Here in the land of year-round riding and being retired I seldom have to miss a weekend club ride. I am terrible with bike maintenance and always let things go too far. Been pretty lucky as far as breaking down on a ride, though.

Had a rear wheel grenade 50 miles from home and called a taxi one time. Had an mtb frame break and had to walk a couple miles. And had a freehub split down the middle while climbing a steep grade near home. It would still roll but no drive and I was able to coast most of the way home.

Had pedals snap off 3 times, 2 resulted in low speed crashes. Had to get picked up for those. Everything else I was able to repair roadside or ride the broken part back. At least twice I have broken seat rails. This means standing up for the rest of the ride, maybe just gently touch down. Had 3 seatposts break. One was an American Classic with the one bolt set screw adjusting the tilt. It broke when I was alone in the hills above Santa Barbara. I found a big ball bearing on the side of the road and was able to jam it in there so I could ride into town.

There were a lot more but most of these failures, if not all, would not have been prevented by maintenance.
Sounds like you put on a lot of miles and the stress/fatigue on parts is an unwelcomed outcome?
My only preventable mechanical failure that derailed a ride was a saddle assembly falling off the seat post over a wood bridge into the San Gabriel River below.