View Single Post
Old 02-20-24, 12:01 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike jambalaya
I need wheels right now. I found some vuelta track wheels that are in my budget. A question I have is will I have any issues using my bikes original 10 speed freewheel on the rear of a single speed track wheel. I like these wheel because they are 36 hole rear and 32 hole front. I am aware that more spokes can give a more comfortable ride. These particular wheels look to have high flange hubs as track wheels do. In this configuration does the flange height of the hubs negate comfort characteristics that you might get by having 36 and 32 spoke wheels compared to something with less. I'm not a racer by any means. I just ride with my friends or solo. I want to invest in a road bike tubeless setup this year. How many spokes would be recommended for me at 185lbs. Probably still just under 200 with backpack with supplies. good vision so very few pot holes are hit and no fgfs or wheelie ing. While running 700 35c tires in urban metropolitan areas and no plans to run any cargo accessories.

I would want to run rims brakes. How many spokes should I aim for front and back. What type of spokes might I want and how high of a flange height should I try to have.
Please clarify: When you say "10 speed freewheel", do you mean 10 cogs (sprockets) on the rear axle alone, or from an old "10-speed bike", which means 5 cogs on the rear wheel?

I ask because modern "10 speed" rears, mean 10 cogs on the axle, but ALWAYS on a *freehub*, this is a "cassette" system, NOT a freewheel, that is different.

Hub flange diameter doesn't affect ride quality. Biggest difference is between (any) crossed spoking pattern, and "radial" spokes. I strongly recommend against radial, it is not as durable, and requires higher tension to stay in true. Whether 4X, 3X, or 2X, depends on the number of holes and rim size with respect to hub flange size.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-20-24 at 12:04 AM.