Old 02-23-24, 10:04 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
In cold weather cotton tees will get wet and make you cold. Ever hear the expression "cotton kills"?
I like the "A-B-C RULE" Anything But Cotton for staying warm in cold weather. I own a ton of synthetic clothing including boxers and briefs, shirts, slacks, shorts, socks. I never wear a stitch of cotton during outdoor activities. None of it is skin tight, other than the briefs and socks. I've cycled across the USA five times, average 60 miles/day, somehow without looking like a TDF entry. Just saying, it is possible.

Jerseys have rear pockets for carrying layers, food, whatever.
Agreed. I have several jerseys. Again, none of them have Italian dish soap logos on them. None are skin tight. It is possible.

And shorts or bibs are chosen for the same reason. Sweat management helps with comfort. I can't average 25mph but I wouldn't want to spend 6 hours on the bike without Lycra shorts. And I wear the same clothes on the mtb as on the road bike.
I've never owned bibs but I get it. That waistband thing is a drag. Keep in mind that the sun hitting skin tight synthetic clothing will heat you up like the surface of Mercury. In hot weather, skin tight synthetics may "handle" perspiration better than cotton but it is going to make you sweat more than necessary.

Ever seen professional field hands picking in the fields on a hot day? A couple layers of loose cotton to keep the sun from heating skin through the fabric. Kinda like working under a shade tarp. Not saying you would necessarily want to cycle in that style of clothing but it is the polar opposite of skin tight synthetics. Something to ponder.

Photograph from the National Archives, Gallery