View Single Post
Old 02-23-24, 10:56 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 434 Posts
I prioritize rim trueness first, with priority of radial first over lateral, and then adjust lateral easily, then try to even spoke tension as much as possible without affecting the rim true. Sometimes it's just a matter of adjusting laterally opposing pairs together, and with the spoke threads being relatively fine, doesn't take much to make them more even tension without noticing any rim runout. (I just ring, no tension meter, but I should get one, though accuracy may be difficult with short, straight-gauge spokes on 20" rims, spokes are inherently laterally stiffer.) My view is, as long as at good minimums so the bottom spokes don't go too loose under rolling, that's not the issue; It's about the other spokes (top and side) bearing the stress/strain as equally as possible. That's always a good thing, as lowering peak stress even a little, can have a big improvement in fatigue life. But if they have to be a bit unequal for a true rim (or a lot for an old rim), I'll accept that. Qualifier: Not a pro, not a wheelbuilder, just an engineer.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-23-24 at 11:03 PM.