View Single Post
Old 02-25-24, 08:12 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4878 Post(s)
Liked 4,042 Times in 2,621 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
Thanks! I'll look into that at some point but I ended up writing my own thing in Excel. It's obviouly not as polished and looks romper roomish but I like being able to manipulate the data. This is what I'm looking at.

FBinNY I'd like to hear your feedback on this - so far. I saw you mentioned in another thread about maintaining length, this is only my third wheel set build and I'm pretty sure I did that in past builds but regardless did it this time, counting turns. It gave me some sporadic tensions but the wheel looked reasonable for a starting point, I doubt the rim has any give to it so that may amplify the tension differences. Just to see what would happen I started going only by numbers, trying to smooth out the tensions. FWIW this is the front wheel with asymetric carbon rims that feels stiff AF. I wanted to get things semi in order before tensionsioning more. The radial true isn't horrible at ~0.6mm. Lateral true is trash at probably 1.5mm but that I will address later. Spoke tension deviation is 11% on the right and 18% on the left. not good, but at least it's not erratic. I thought that was under control enough to start approaching final tension.

I know this isn't how you build wheels but I'd still like to hear your opinion. Thanks!
I'd try to get the tensions more even now, not after more tensioning. Everything is easier with looser spokes. Also, you may be making the nipples of the tightest spokes quite old trying to turn them.

Edit: This is a reason I am such a fan of tensioning by ear. (Granted, I can hear pitch.) I tune pair of spokes to be equal. Go around the rims listening for ones that stand out. All easy and fast just hitting the spokes with the wrench. Sometimes the sound is ambiguous. Then I pluck the spoke with my finger. But even needing to both of those is a lot faster than putting the tension tool on.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 02-25-24 at 08:18 AM.