View Single Post
Old 02-25-24, 10:17 AM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 175 Posts
Do I worry about how my Merz bikes were used?

Originally Posted by sbarner
Exactly what I was going to write. When I see bikes like this, I wonder if the builder senses a bit of disappointment to see that, after all the communication and work in building the frame, the customer never actually rode the bike very much. With a bike like this, it isn't likely because there was anything wrong with it. You like to think that your effort was more than just to obtain a fee for service. I suppose the bike did serve a function in providing an aesthetic pleasure for the owner, but some chainring wear would also communicate that there were a bunch of happy miles experienced, as well.

Care to weigh in, PortlandJim? You're the only one who can enlighten us.
When I was building Merz bikes, starting around 50 years ago, I don't remember ever worrying about if my bikes were put to good use or not. As I mentioned in an earlier comment, almost all my customers were avid bike lovers. My bikes were expensive, but I didn't seem to get any rich dilliatants as customers. The man who I made this bike for did ride it with great enjoyment for 2 years. He had a medical issue and that ended his cycling days. As far as I'm concerned this wasn't a great outcome for him, but don't loose sleep over the bike not being used during the next 47 years. I was never very emotionally invoveled with any bike I have owned or built, to me they are tools, not art works. Jim Merz