Old 02-25-24, 08:19 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Yeah, it does matter.

That's the whole point I and multiple others have been making this entire time. Never assume when an unknown bike arrives in your hands that the owner has installed compatible parts. The guy could have no idea what he's doing.

You ever been involved in a community bicycle recycle workshop? People just go to the parts bin and slap whatever parts they find on the bike. Then they come to you for help installing the chain. If a bicycle has wrongly selected components and you blindly follow the small-small procedure like a doofus, the drivetrain will be damaged the first time you ride the bike.

You have no idea what you're doing and the terrible advice you're giving could cause damage.

Stop.
Yes, I worked for 3+ years at the University of California at Davis' Bike Barn and two other shops during summer breaks while completing my civil engineering degree. There was no parts bin, but plenty of doofus working on their bikes and asking for help. I helped them to get everything in working order or let them know how much it would be (and did some of the work) if they didn't want to do it themselves. I'm guessing you don't go out of your way to help much.

So stop spreading misinformation and the fear-mongering. It's just a different way of sizing the chain and doesn't guarantee damage to the bike.