View Single Post
Old 02-25-24, 10:11 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Portlandjim
When I was building Merz bikes, starting around 50 years ago, I don't remember ever worrying about if my bikes were put to good use or not. As I mentioned in an earlier comment, almost all my customers were avid bike lovers. My bikes were expensive, but I didn't seem to get any rich dilliatants as customers. The man who I made this bike for did ride it with great enjoyment for 2 years. He had a medical issue and that ended his cycling days. As far as I'm concerned this wasn't a great outcome for him, but don't loose sleep over the bike not being used during the next 47 years. I was never very emotionally invoveled with any bike I have owned or built, to me they are tools, not art works. Jim Merz
There's a certain Zen involved when you put more focus and work into something than required, especially when it's likely that it won't be noticed. A workman is loathe to put in more time than necessary, because "time is money," as the saying goes. An artisan does something a certain way because they think it's the "right" way it should be done. I'm reminded of long ago reading that the Shakers would finish the backs and undersides of drawers as carefully as the fronts, noting that "God sees those parts, too." Pull most furniture away from the wall and it's downright ugly.

(Edit) Like aligning the Columbus stamping on the steerer with the front of the fork crown!

Last edited by sbarner; 02-25-24 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added a line.
Likes For sbarner: