Old 02-27-24, 08:52 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
I can't find any real documentation on these, and what I do find is fairly unsuable since alot of it is unitless. I made a copy(ish) of them but working out the final details. I'm pretty sure my spring tension is way too low. I made a test jig for some spokes I'm working with and at 140kgf I was only getting 0.13mm deflection. At an absolute best accuracy of +/- one digit thats an inherent grey area of ~7.6% before you add in any other inaccuracies. I'd like to know what you measure so I can fine tune things. I have a more stout spring that I'm going to try, printing the parts now. I would still like to compare. Thanks!
Seems to me the manufacturing tolerance of spoke diameter is also a factor. The 7.6% seems like a "noise margin," within which you may get a reading, but can't really count on it as a measurement.

My Park tensiometer came with a reference card to let me see how my build might compare to a standard I may have found, but it is very difficult and finnicky for me to match two spokes in a given wheel, due in part to sticktion in the spoke nipple threads, spoke windup, and friction in the nipple to rim interface. I haven't tried building with a lubricant yet.