View Single Post
Old 02-27-24, 03:10 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
It might just be a little early to buy into electronic shifting even though its been around quite some time.
Yeah, that's kind of my concern. For me, it would be less about the money and more about the frustration. If I'm to buy into a bike upon which I'll experiment with modern technologies, I'll want a rig that plausibly sees me through at least the next five years of those technologies.

I have a similar problem with my oldest bikes really. I've got a 1978 Italian / Campy racer as a pet project at the moment. With all that is "special" about that setup, I've been finding myself painted into a similar corner with respect to what is reasonably available and what I'm willing to pay for. Sadly, everything may not be able to stay shiny silver if I'm to have indexed shifting, a free hub in a frame that is not cold set, and drop bars with modern-ish ramps. It's become an exercise in compromise. There will likely be a version of the bike that I train on for a while and a different version for hanging on the wall in my dotage.
Likes For Harold74: