View Single Post
Old 02-29-24, 11:01 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 254 Posts
LOL. More brake jokes. Resin is less grabby?? LOL. You must have cheapo one piston Shimano crap.
I only have one cable TRP Spyre caliper, on my Roholff14. And it's not a MTB. My front brake is a XL dyno drum brake on 2 bikes.
Since the drum lasts 6x as long, I use that for slowing modulation. When I want to get thrown off at a dead stop, I pull the rear resin pads.
It will skid in 1/100 of a sec. My only replacement pads were at 5,300 miles, half were on tour with 120 lbs bike.
NEITHER has ever squealed. The pads are Discstop HP BBB BBS53, " high performance compound".

My pretend brake is on the front of my CCM 3 speed, is a side pull with salmon pads. LOL. All they do is collect glaze. For 14,000 miles my Rohloff only had a long pull caliper, it was even more useless. So that's how good my drum brake was at stopping by itself. I had ZERO indication of fade or heating. I mostly let it go top speed until a corner. It actually broke my first fork 3 times it was so strong.
The small drum brake 3 speed isn't half as good as the XL.
My best stopper has both XL drum brakes, which are semi anti-lock. 39 to zero mph is about 60 feet. That's better than the GCN guys did from 32 mph, disc or caliper. LOL.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-29-24 at 11:06 AM.