Old 02-29-24, 07:35 PM
frenchfry53

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SwimmerMike
My guess is they are standard 700c tires. The 22 width is not something you see everyday, but a 23 (or potentially wider) tire should fit. My initial thought was that these were tubulars (sew-ups) that you glue/tape on. But with a quick look on line, they could be clinchers. Either way, finding tires for the bike should be fairly easy, you will probably just need to go for a slightly different width, which does not require changing the rims. Since this bike is from the early 80's the max tire width might be pretty small (I run 700cx25 on my 81 Bianchi but it is 2 years earlier). The concern is the tire hitting the chain stay, brake bridge, or the seat tube, so you just need to look to see how much clearance you have with the 22's.
They are VERY small. But this is very helpful information! Thank you! We're going to to take it to the bike shop where my husband's father worked and put it together, but they're closed for the season until the end of March. We found out yesterday it's owned by the same family, so fingers 🤞, somebody remembers something or can give recommendations.