Old 03-02-24, 12:41 PM
Heat88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
A Schwinn Sidewinder, like all bikes made by Pacific Cycles is made to a price point. Unfortunately this also means pot metal, low manufacturing tolerances, and lack of grease throughout. A trifecta for problems. Fortunately, this also means that repair items are cheap, if you can steel yourself against all the hassle. Any bike shop will have a small selection of replacement crank arms hanging on a hook in the back room for situations like yours. Expect $15-30 or so.
I already have a new crankset bought, and was intending on installing it, so that's not an issue.

Originally Posted by base2
As far as removing the stuck on arm, I've decided that the most effective method for removal is simply a hack saw with a good sharp blade. The aluminum, especially the low grade stuff gives way quite readily and it's about a 15 minute job to cut down in line coaxial with the spindle and along the taper. When your arm gets tired drive in a wedge to break off the rest of the uncut remaining at the fat end of the base. Then lever the arm off the spindle sideways. With only 3 of the four sides remaining with the spindle, the crank arm levers off quite easily.
If all other avenues are exhausted, I'll probably do that.