Old 03-02-24, 03:31 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
If you're referring to the bearing system as pictured below, then the 3 calipers above does have it. BR-1050 pictured.

It's called 'thrust bearings' by Shimano, little balls imbedded in the bushing that don't really rotate but just reduces friction with the coated washers that sandwich it. Same system that is used by many of their 'nicer' dual pivot calipers that followed it.

Per the below not all SLR single pivot had it (this is from 1986), so not on the 'L', don't know if this changed later. Also, for dual pivot, not all had the thrust bearings in all generations.

Very nice, thank you for the diagrams and everything. I'm going to pair the a450 brake levers with regular old CLB professional calipers to start with and see how it goes. They've been wonderful, very powerful with Super SLR brake levers. After doing some reading I expect that the regular SLR brake levers will require more brake lever movement but should have more mechanical advantage...hopefully I've got that right...if indeed the combination doesn't work, it'll be an easy trade with someone here on the forum, my CLB calipers for a pair of 1050 brake calipers.

Believe it or not, I have yet to actually experience SLR calipers and levers working together, and all of the shimano marketing and anecdotes on the forum (and Sheldon loved them) has me itching to try despite how nice the weight weenie CLB calipers are. The light and smooth action along with good modulation of brake force sounds quite nice.
Likes For Piff: