Old 03-02-24, 07:21 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
@base2 can you share real life riding experience?
Sure can, with the caveat that I installed a Whiskey 7 carbon fork for 2mm less trail. The Soma Buena Vista rides like a nimble race bike. With the long-ish wheel base it tracks well and the lighter than average trail makes for very responsive steering. I like the front/rear weight distribution. With 700x38 Panaracer Gravelking slicks it soaks up 80 mile days with aplomb. The only limitation is the endurance of my sit bones on the hard carbon saddle. The frame design (and other stuff) does indeed do a really good job of soaking up road chatter. Supremely comfortable over less than stellar terrain.

It climbs well. It's easy to simply point the wheel where you want to go and dance on the pedals if needed. Something less sporty bikes have difficulty with. For slow speed technical challenges, there is no toe overlap with the front wheel. For high speed, highly technical descending, it doesn't inspire as much confidence as it could because it isn't as torsionally stiff as it could be. For sensible speeds this is a non-issue. At slow to normal speeds it corners very well. Almost like a crit bike.

Aero is 90% rider anyway. Your average cruising speeds will remain virtually unaffected by the bike frame design.

As to fit, I purchased a size 58. I found that with the steep 75 degree (I measured it) seat tube it needed a 25mm setback seat post to approximate a more road bike-ish 73 degree seat tube to put the saddle mid-rail where it needed to be for a road bike configuration. Then because my TRP Hylex brake hoods are so long I found an 80mm -17 degree stem was appropriate to put the hoods where I needed them to be. But shorter brake hoods would make a more midrange 90 or 100mm stem about right. You'll have to experiment based on what bars/brakes you have and your own personal proportions. I normally ride a 57cm bike frame because the 56 was unavailable at the time and in looking at the geometry numbers the only real difference would've been 10mm of stem length and a lot of spacers.

I would totally do this bike again in a heartbeat. It's super fun and comfortable. Of all the bikes in my stable, it has been the go-to bike to grab since I have built it and that is sayin' somethin'. It's rare that such a sporty bike that also supports a rack and full fenders comes along. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited by base2; 03-02-24 at 07:52 PM.