View Single Post
Old 03-03-24, 01:36 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 2,875 Times in 548 Posts
I agree non-fixie the sign is intriguing, I can't tell if it's saying all.dogs must be on leads, or if its saying all dog mess must be cleaned up by the owners, or something else.

And as.it happens i saw a ridiculous no dog fouling sign today, more on that shortly....

After my recent obsession with all things grey to match my newly built grey bike, for a change today it did not rain and we had some sunshine, so I went in search of color.

Our sakura are a bit behind Japan and have not flowered yet, so while i wait for nature to deliver me color, i decide to go to Penge in south London for my first visit of the year. It is one of the lesser known street art spots in London, but every time I go I find something new, and today was no exception, in fact it was a bumper haul of new stuff.

But first I have to cycle over the hill at Crystal Palace, the route i choose is up College Road in Dulwich which has the last active tollgate in London. It covers a stretch of road approx half a mile long, is free for pedestrians and cyclists but cars have to pay. £1.20 ($1.50).

There were many dozens of these toll gates all across London, but they were finally ruled too restrictive to trade and movement and were abolished, helped by the introduction of the railways . This one is on private land so can remain, and they also have an old sign near the tollgate showing the old toll prices for vehicles and livestock. Thankfully I was not mistaken for a donkey so got through without charge.

And a bit further along I find the ridiculous no dog fouling sign I mentioned above. This is private land that pedestrians and cyclists have free right of way through, but as its private it has its own rules and signs. And typical of posh rich old English people to use way more words than necessary and be condescending at the same time. It's that or the sign writer was charging by the word and was trying to fleece the landowners for all he could. Have you ever seen such a wordy 'no dog fouling' sign?

I crest.the top of the hill than and descend into the technicolor environs of Penge, which did start off quite grey, but as the sun came out the artworks I found got brighter and more colorful.

Admittedly it's not quite the levels of big blue skies and sunshine RCMoeur experiences, but after months of northern hemisphere winter the arrival of sunshine really does lift our spirits.

And despite not leaving Londom I too mamaged to cycle near phoenix...
....this wet and dark scene has been more like what we've endured.here recently....

...and my last one of the day is a case of role reversal, after spending the afternoon taking pics of street art with my bike, the street art takes a pic of the bike.

Last edited by botty kayer; 03-03-24 at 03:01 PM.