View Single Post
Old 03-03-24, 06:51 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
You're going to get a million leads. Just to add a couple I used when looking at a good value a year or so ago:
Check out the Salsa Journeyer options at REI. They have a bunch of options/price points. I bought the two cheapest options ~$1k each for my wife and my "travel bikes" which we leave in the RV in another state. One is a 2x8 Shimano the other 1x9 Microshift. Both work very well and were good values. If I had a $2k budget There's excellent, upgraded options. One reason I went with the REI option is that it gave the benefit of ordering online and having it delivered and assembled at REI. But they're just good bikes for the price.

Also, check out Poseidon. They have great value and have a good reputation - search the forums on that word and you'll find a bunch of owners. If you're comfortable assembling and tuning a bike, you might check them out.
I’ll add REI does do test rides. One can go online and check the inventory to see what is available to test ride.

OP on your choices be sure to compare different sizes. The number sizes vary. I’m 6’-1” and would ride a 56cm Checkpoint.