Old 03-04-24, 02:01 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
This is a great plan! But I'd also first like to ask how you plan to make your selection of bikes - is it based on year, size, tubing, ride quality, rarity, favorites, etc? How do you see yourself getting down to the 3, or even that final 1?

There is really no rhyme or reason to the selection process in my own mind, other that if a bike rides amazing. But even then, like the PX-10, which is really dialed in and a fun, tactile ride, I'm considering letting it go.

I wonder if anyone has ever just put every single one up for sale, and just kept the last one standing. What a way that would be!

Thanks! Bike selection is a few things. 0) Must truly enjoy it, regardless of provenance. 1) 65-67cm CTT only. 2) Clearly defined roles. 3) Able to accept modern components/component swapping is easy

'82 Trek 720 (the Queen), '85 Trek 620 (modified, fender and do-it-all bike), '80 Trek 510 (light, fast, comfortable, Di2 parts hanger) -- The three are chosen, so it's a matter of making sure the rest go to new homes.

In late 2020 I got down to one bike, my former '74 Paramount P15-9, as well as not very many spare parts. Lots of room, but a bit boring! Then I found the '85 620 as a frameset and swapped components over. Eye-opening from a stability standpoint. It also fit me better as it measured 65cm vs the Paramount's 63.5cm (less Technomic stem exposure and gawky proportions).

I'm getting out of the race bike game as, for me, the overall comfort and out-of-saddle dynamics are inferior to my larger tire Treks. Also, Reynolds 531 trumps all, try as I might with other tubing, save for the Ishiwata 022-tubed 510 which 'needed' RS81 C24 wheels and nice 32mm tires to bring out the frame's best. All bikes are completely non-original in their componentry, and built to the hilt. That makes them much harder to pare down since years of time, thought, and money have been poured into them. If I really needed to get to one bike, it would likely be the 620 due to its versatility and my monetary investment in it (frame work, powder coat, decals). Of the three, the 510 would go first, then the 720 (which would be tragic), but I'd keep the Di2 for the 620 and find some way to put a compatible long cage on the 9070 rear derailleur so I could run 32 and 34t cassettes.