terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked 3,691 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I think you're probably right that not all exercise-induced inflammation is good, but I don't think those heart changes are inflammatory in origin. Have you read that somewhere?
I read about the possible link between inflammation and AF in Zinn: The Haywire Heart, which led me to this review article:

Guo et al, Inflammation in Atrial Fibrillation, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2012

Lots of technical stuff that's beyond me, but here are few quotes in plain English:

"There is plausible evidence linking inflammation to the initiation and perpetuation of AF and AF-related thrombosis."

"Several prospective epidemiological studies confirmed that inflammation may confer an increased risk of AF."

"Whether AF is the cause or the consequence of inflammation cannot be safely answered on the basis of the available evidence. It is likely that both statements are true. Inflammation seems to represent a potent trigger of AF, whereas AF seems to create and sustain an inflammatory and prothrombotic environment."

So no definitive answer, but a lot of suggestions that inflammation is involved with AF.

Thoughts?

Likes For terrymorse: