Old 03-04-24, 03:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked 6,439 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
Before Ritchey went all in with the unicrown fork, his mountain bikes were fit with an earlier version of a bi-plane fork crown…1981 Everest (photo borrowed from the Vintage Mountain Bike Workshop):
Yeah, apples and oranges IMO.

I think he saw the handwriting, his bi-plane was being copied by most others with many going to a cast version.

He tried to get them to cast his fancy version but the cost was untenable so he spun the unibrow up and the rest is fugly history.

I'm glad Grant was able to get them done on these, they compare to few others and that is sad.

Not sure how Andy got it done but am also very glad he did.

He got Long Shen to cast them and had an at the time wiz kid helping with the design and production of them, I believe that is who Tom tried to get as well.

Grant probably had clout with them later on where as Tom did not, early on when he needed it.