Old 03-04-24, 06:29 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't know how we can help. I'm serious. I had a huge collection at one point, and I was afraid the Hoarders TV show would come around to shoot an episode.

Asking for support here is like holding an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting at a bar.

I have kicked the habit. I stopped buying and building bikes a few years ago. There are some bikes I would like to have, but I'm not even buying them. I want an e-bike and a folding bike. Maybe I'll buy one or both. But first I will get rid of one. I have a couple of racing bikes I barely ride.

The problem is, I don't know how I killed my cravings, so I can't tell you how to do it. I just did it somehow.
I mentioned in another thread that there is a very tall early Sequoia for sale locally, for a good price. Very rare size that fits me. What an opportunity! But also, what will I outfit it with that won't take its own time to source or pull from an already built bike. And somewhere in there I get stuck on these things running 26.8mm seat posts and not 27.2mm, which registers as inferior in this world of top-end vintage bikes. It also means sourcing a nice silver post if I don't like the OEM one, which by now is decently worn and needs matching touch-up and polishing. It's an opportunity to ride one of the magical Specialized bikes from that era, something I am normally enthusiastic to try, but...I don't need to spend that money, I think the fork looks a little tweaked, and hopping on my 720 the other week reminded me just how well-paired that bike and I are, and that just feels satisfying.

The parts exchanger and builder side of this hobby/passion is definitely feeling left out, like I cut off my arm. Much joy derived from redeeming bikes to rideable status, so I will need to find a new focus for that energy. Or once I have enough space, use the hangers as temporary storage for bikes I fix up for people on the side.

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 03-04-24 at 06:39 PM.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: