View Single Post
Old 03-04-24, 09:26 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 257 Posts
No posts from the OP for awhile...?
Here's my short answer, as a fellow "amateur" who is not quite as strong a rider as you.

Going from an old road bike to a newer one? Not much of a difference, except in climbing. Even then, are you counting a few pounds on the bike when your body is 30 lbs. overweight? That's where I am. I'm 30 lbs. overweight. Anything less than 5 pounds on a bike is not worth my considering, because the engine is too fat.

On the other hand, if you are riding a hybrid bike or a cruiser, and thinking of going to a lightweight road bike (anything under 25 lbs.) it is a monumental difference. Not only is there less weight to haul around, but there is a BIG aerodynamic advantage as well as the riding posture making better use of your weight and your Gluteus Maximus. (butt muscles)

Example: from the Trek line-up, I had a Verve 3, hybrid-comfort bike, around 30 lbs. As those bikes go, it was pretty efficient: slight forward lean, easy rolling tires. I joined an easy group ride with the slowest group from my club, 12-14 mph pace. Just a 5-10 mph wind and a few minor hills and I was WINDED to keep up with the very slowest rider on a proper road bike. I was catching the wind like a sail, with my arms spread wide, sitting up straight, with the flat bar.

The previous week, I was on my Domane AL3. It's a humble road bike by the standards of those here. 23 lbs. before adding a saddle bag, bottle cage & bottles, pump, etc. But I was easily one of the fastest that week, having to wait.

When I ride alone on my Domane, I'm in the 14-16 mph pace range. In a group, I'm in the 15-17 mph range. (drafting and taking turns pulling) Put me on a hybrid bike and those numbers go down to 11-13 mph (average) pace and forget the group because I can't keep up with the grannies on road bikes, hehehe.

SO. For your situation, where do you stand in your BMI? Are you overweight? Obese? I think not, if you're riding 17 mph. I also think you're on a road bike. How much weight would your upgrade save you? If it saves less than 5 lbs., it probably won't help much. You might notice a slight difference on climbs and acceleration from a stop, but that's it.

I think we need to know your BMI range and how much your bike weighs and whether it is a road bike or not.

It sounds like you're in good shape now. If you're in a healthy BMI and your road bike is old and more than 5 lbs. too heavy, an upgrade would be warranted, in my humble opinion. Reward yourself for all this great progress you've made!

Compare it to my case, I'll share it in all my shame, to try to help you:

I'm an American male, 5'8" tall, 190#. At least 30# overweight, to get to the top of the "Healthy" BMI range.
I'm on a 24# Trek Domane. Spending a bunch of money to shave 6 lbs. off the bike doesn't make ANY sense for me. I need to shave my body fat down 30# first, before I even THINK of trading dollars for ounces.

How does that compare to YOUR situation?

Last edited by Smaug1; 03-04-24 at 09:30 PM.
Likes For Smaug1: