Old 03-05-24, 03:56 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Disc Brakes Annoyance

I don't mind or care if other people like or use disc brakes.

But I decided to build a new bike like I did last time. I like my bikes simple. So I decided to go with the R7000 105 because frankly I thought the hoods on the R5800 were rather uncomfortable.

But here is the thing. All new carbon frames, whether it's branded or direct from factory, I chose Winspace, they all require internal routing. And I think anyone who does home maintenance has noticed that internal routing definitely affects the smoothness of mechanical shifting.

So I decided to look into electronic shifting now that I read the batteries last long time and quick charging. Well I can't find Shimano Di2 without hydraulic disc brakes. I have absolutely no interest in hydraulic disc.

The other issue is it's now difficult to find a frame that I want with rim brake support. Almost any new modern frame is disc only.

That's my rant. I wish the bike industry wasn't so fixed on forcing people onto certain standards and was a more open.

So I managed to figure out a build. The only frame I could find within my budget and what I wanted was the Winspace SLC 2.0 with direct mount support. And I just had to put together a custom with 105 R7000 mechanical with Ultegra direct mount brakes, costing me an additional $200 that I didn't want to spend. Annoying.
Likes For zymphad: