Thread: My first Merz
View Single Post
Old 03-05-24, 04:51 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4528 Post(s)
Liked 6,424 Times in 3,698 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
Good to know about the chain getting stuck on 26t and 24t.

merziac, I wasn't meaning the factory drilled triples, but either a triplizer ring or having it custom tapped for 86bcd or 74bcd.

86 is my favorite bcd (why I love the Stronglight 99) and chainrings are still being made by Stronglight last I checked. 74bcd only tempts me as possibly more future-proof. I don't think I've ever seen an 86bcd drilled Record crankset though; do you have pictures? And since it sounds like you might have some experience here, any guesses on a good spindle length for a Record 45/42/28? I know it does depend somewhat on my chainstays here.

​​​​​​​​
Yeah, wasn't sure on the 86, obviously bulgie is your guy, he knows more than just about anybody.

Honestly not sure on the length, I have always done the hunt and peck method, go to a co-op and grab a handful of spindles, usually 5, more if they are cheap in what seem to be good sizes and swap around until I get the right combo.

This can build a very good "feel" for this and help anytime you have to dig in.