View Single Post
Old 03-06-24, 09:28 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 183 Posts
Summer job commute ramblings

I'm a teacher and during the school year I bike 19 miles daily each way to get to work.

I just got a summer job at a Boy Scout camp. My oldest kid will stay at the camp, and my younger two will ride with me in the camp bus each day while my wife will take our only car to work. Everything works out great, commuting wise.

The only issue is the week of camp setup, when there is no bus running. The camp is 25 miles away - 6 miles further than I'm used to.

The good news is it's early July and the sunlight and weather should be fine. I will also be in shape after another year of riding to work and I will have a week off before this to rest. Also, because this is the week of July 4th, the most I expect I would have to commute is Monday-Wednesday, off Thursday, and then back Friday.

The bad news is that the last time I did this job (25 years ago), the workday was extremely tiring. I was in a crew that went from camp site to camp site, carrying picnic tables and tent platforms all day.

My other (easier) option is to make my first foray into bicycle camping. I could bring my stuff with me on Monday and stay over as needed at the camp. I think I could grub a cot/tent there and even hot meals.

Already looking forward to the summer, but I still have almost four more months at my regular job.
Likes For ScottCommutes: