View Single Post
Old 03-06-24, 10:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked 6,439 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Had a question for the Paramount experts here in C&V.

Are specific eras of Paramount's considered more "valuable" than others?

I had a conversation with a work friend who is interested in older bikes and he was of the mindset that the late 70's versions were less desirable vs. say, the "Disneyland Graphic" era bikes?

I understand the early eighties versions are rare because of the scarcity before production was ramped back up but are they more desirable or command more of premium than say and early 70's version?

I got me thinking about it and I was wondering if were actually based on something that folks think or just something that gets passed around as fact on the internet?
IMO your friend is not wrong but only in the fact that they are actually fairly rare and scarce by the numbers, they also have some older less robust and refined components as well.

The later Paramount's, especially 70's are the opposite, again IMO.

They are very stout for what they are, they are workhorses, fairly light despite that and with the later refined versions of components they function extremely well with minimal futzing and fussing.

And being from the bike boom, they fully lend themselves to plenty of resto modding, a very good thing for us.

They are the ones you want if you're going to ride one, want to be able to rely on and enjoy it.

This is another case of the eye of the beholder, I love Paramount's, the history, the hype and tradition, I don't think it gets any better.

I have a 40's, three 50's and five 70's, so no 60's yet, it seems they are more scarce, especially big ones in my size.

Here's a cross section that you may have seen before.

Last edited by merziac; 03-06-24 at 10:50 PM.