Old 03-07-24, 01:19 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 434 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Even if wax doesn't have a wear reducing advantage in and on itself (though ZFC testing would indicate that immersive wax does significantly reduce wear) the thing that likely does have a significant effect on wear reduction with immersive waxing is the flushing that happens with every rewaxing. All the muck gets washed out from inside the chain so the finished waxed chain has clean surfaces and no grinding paste to accelerate wear. And that flushing happens regularly as unlike oil, wax doesn't give a false sense of quiet when the chain needs treatment.
I agree, but for different reasoning. When I did hot wax, I NEVER had anywhere near the amount of metal dust as I find when cleaning oil off and putting a magnet in the solvent. I always rewaxed my chains periodically, but especially if started to squeak. So maybe less wear. Or maybe, the metal dust just falls off the chain constantly. Which is why, when my oil lube turns to paste, I clean and relube, because that is essentially lapping paste.