View Single Post
Old 03-09-24, 08:18 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 278 Posts
Worked on a 50 plus year old ''Roger Riviere" recently. New cables and housings...had to reduce the diameter of the shift cable ends...old style needed which has a smaller diameter. The front...'Triplex'...front derailleur wasn't working and it turned out to be the top of the spring had come off its stop...easy fix...cool thing is the entire der can be disassembled which I did to clean off decades of ick. Wheels weren't too bad fortunately as many of the spokes threads have rusted to the nipples so couldn't move them and the customer didn't want to take the chance of breaking spokes. The customer bought the bike brand new over 50 years ago and still rides it a bit and just wanted it 'rideable' for his mile or two jaunts in his neighborhood. The chain was very worn but again money limits and it was worn to the chain rings, which weren't badly worn, and freewheel, which wasn't badly worn, so all three aged together nicely and shifted just fine. The frame has a nice patina of rust but nothing, externally, dangerous though we warned the customer the bike should be ridden 'gently' just in case...the rust was just a very fine 'dusting' and made the frame look very cool and aged. The hood covers had crumbled off but we had a nice vintage pair of Campy covers which fit and look nice. New bar tape works wonders on a bike. The handlebars were perfect, not a speck of rust.
I started a thread a bit ago asking for old gruppo companies and while I listed several I didn't know "Triplex" so it is cool to see a new/old company popping up. I know there are many I just haven't encountered many during my decades of working in bike shops.
The customer is very happy with how the bike turned out and I hope he has many wonderful rides before that final ride...
Likes For Kai Winters: