View Single Post
Old 03-09-24, 03:17 PM
rlmalisz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
I don't think this technology is a bad thing, but it's a lot of R&D money for something that only requires a low-tech solution. Plus, this warning system doesn't physically prevent the door from being opened. I think the most effective solution from a practicality and cost standpoint is for cyclists to ride outside the door zone, and in tandem the legal system should provide them a lot of leeway for doing so.
Agree this won't solve the problem, but it may increase driver awareness some. I'd be surprised if such a system didn't warn a potential door-opener if a car was approaching as well...seems like they'd have to really jump through tech hoops to limit the sensing to just cyclists. When driving, I constantly have brain-dead motorists blithely open their door to get out with barely enough room/time to avoid hitting them and/or their door. I'd be fine if just got them to check the mirror.

Interesting that the article is about this going into effect in Australia...and the stock photo used shows left-hand driver placement. Ah, well.
Likes For rlmalisz: