View Single Post
Old 03-10-24, 04:02 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 530 Times in 365 Posts
I've had my Di2 since Sept 2014, almost 10 years, and approx 40,000 miles. The shifters are still working perfectly. (I replaced the rear derailleur as "preventative maintenance" since I plan to ride it many more years.) A ballpark guess is I've done 500,000 to 800,000 shifts on the Di2.

I have large hands. The shifter hoods seem fine to me. A bit smaller than the 11 speed Campagnolo mechanical on my other bike, but I like both. I do have the Di2 hoods at a slight upward angle so the palm of my hand fits naturally on the hood+bar.

I don't notice any shift button problems, even with heavy winter gloves (or thin goretex shell mittens, that I like for the first half hour of cold starting rides.)
I've gotten used to being able to shift with a ring finger on casual rides, or doing fast, easy shifts from the drops with an index finger. I ride rolling terrain and I shift all the time, even for just a few pedal strokes before shifting again.

I have the Di2 set to "shift 3 cogs with a long press". At the base of a hill, hold both bottom buttons for 1/2 second or longer (the "long press"). That's small ring and 3 harder cogs, good. Over the top of the climb: long press both top buttons. Now it's the big ring and three easier cogs.
I don't see the need for auto shift on the front. I'll just decide for myself.

~~~~
Info:
Charge level: Solid green light: 100% to 50% charge. blinking green: 50% to 25%. solid red: "low" to 25%. blinking red: the last few percent, and usually the front stops shifting, to preserve a bit of battery for the cassette shifts. I've run out 2 or 3 times in the 9+ years, so I try to charge within a ride or two after I see the blinking green "under 50%" level. There's no advantage to letting it get really low.

Di2 crash mode: I've seen this mode when a chain got jammed. It also can be triggered by a fall onto the drive side, but I've never seen a Di2 bike fall on it so far. It acts like the Di2 is broken -- nothing happens when pressing shift buttons. It can be easily reset back to working condition using the junction box button -- google search this.

Micro adjustments: Holding the junction box button for 5 seconds, the light turns red. Now each shifter button click moves it 1/32 of a shift in that direction, for fine tuning the chain-cog position. I do this maybe once a year if I hear some slight chain rubbing noises. It's very easy to do.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-10-24 at 04:13 PM.
Likes For rm -rf: