Old 03-11-24, 11:36 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5043 Post(s)
Liked 8,283 Times in 3,913 Posts
Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks
Carbon bikes are the ultimate cosplay, Lance.
Utter nonsense.

I've ridden and raced on bikes made of steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber. I still own bikes made of 3 of those materials. I'm a lot of years removed from my best racing days and peak fitness, but I haven't lost the ability to recognize and appreciate the differences in ride quality and handling characteristics between different bikes. It turns out that the bikes I prefer to ride are all CF. They're also the bikes that excite me most to look at. If a high-end CF bike helps pro racers get the most from their abilities, why can't I also ride a bike that helps me get the most from my abilities? I'm not racing the way I used to, but I still like riding to the limits of what my body is capable of on a regular basis. That's just playing the game of bikes the way I like to play it. For the same reasons, I wear "roadie" clothing when I ride, regardless of whether it's road, gravel, or MTB. It's clothing optimized for cycling, and helps me perform at my best, regardless of how I compare to anyone else. I'm not pretending to be someone. I am a cyclist, and I use the gear that suits the way I like to ride, based on preferences developed over a long time. At this point, I don't ever expect to purchase a non-CF bike.

All that said. These are my preferences. If yours are different, that's fine. I'm not telling anyone else how they should enjoy the sport/activity, and what they should be limited to using.