Old 03-11-24, 09:14 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 372 Posts
Do you carry a lock?

I'm thinking of doing the Empire State Trail from Buffalo to NYC this summer, and just getting details together again and it occurred to me that I never gave any thought to carrying a lock. I tend not to carry one when I ride because I'm usually just out to ride, not to shop or eat. But on a long road trip, especially a solo one, I know I'll need to make stops. Overnights won't be a problem as I'm staying in hotels, and I'd drop the bike at the hotel for dinner, although I might need it for transportation to get to dinner. I have this picture in my head that I'll be staying in the small towns along the way and be able to walk to some local place, but my experience in car trips is different. The hotel is near some highway interchange and the restaurants are further down the road, even in small towns.

Anyway, do you all carry locks, and if you do, what kind? As a New Yorker I have a Kryptonite U-lock for the frame and a cable that loops through the wheels. It is heavy and I avoid carrying it.