View Single Post
Old 03-13-24, 11:55 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked 2,904 Times in 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by mams99
Well, that's the rub, isn't it? Nearly NOWHERE has bikes for testing for real and they all would need to be adjusted anyway. Like the bike I have (now on the trainer) is slightly too low for me. I like to ride more upright. But the reach/step over height feels so perfect if I could just sit a bit more upright (and the bike fit I had that compared what I had set up and what they recommended were pretty darn close. That bike is a 46cm bike! But we maxed out the spacers and got a handlebar that rose higher to work. But the reach with that adjustment of raising the steerer bar made it feel SO comfortable. The first time I road it for more than a spin around the neighborhood was fully loaded for 3.5 days and I had ZERO soreness or issues. BUT... I I had maxed it all out sizewise.

The Surly Ogre I have has not been adjusted at the fitter (which I need to do because they will adjust things as part of my bike fit within 1 year). It rides really nice/smooth, but I'm still trying to decide if I like the reach. I feel like I would like the handle bar to be a bit closer to me so I didn't feel so stretched out. I guess I like the "jaunty casual ride" feel over the "I'm going for a serious ride" feel. I ride mostly for comfort - never for speed. almost always for running errands, etc. When I do Ragbrai, I want to be COMFORTABLE for a long day on the saddle and I want its easy enough to get on and off the bike when I'm just exhausted without worrying about feeling like I'll topple over while I swing my leg over the bike to get off.

How is it that in Europe you can find more mixties than here? I'm pretty sure I would love a mixte that had all the gears and was made for long days in the saddle. That is perfection in my mind!
Most mixtes and upright sitting bikes are not really meant for long days in the saddle, more for short trips

Also to be considered for long days in the saddle are aerodynamics, it might seem to be a concern for racers only, but but a very upright position even without wind or fast speeds will add a lot of effort over a long day of biking and if there is wind against you.....it is a killer

that does not mean you have to have a position with handle bar slammed below the seat. also reach can be adjusted with stem length

the soma mixte as noted in other threads looks like it would be an option functionally

I really think your fitter should be able to look at couple of these options and give you some input.

beyond that for used vs new is what components/gearing etch you need and how you get that.

as for getting off most bikes that have a flat or close to flat top tube, when properly sized will not give you a lot of stand over

following various threads I think your vision is at odds with reality a little bit. my gut is the soma mixte with drop bars may be the ticket for you for long comfortable rides, with minimal worry about top tube height....again suggest taking the soma specs to the fitter and get what size frame and build specs like stem length

have fun

Last edited by squirtdad; 03-13-24 at 02:49 PM.
Likes For squirtdad: