Old 03-13-24, 09:25 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 2,725 Times in 1,136 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
There is no real upside to these for cantilever brakes beyond being nifty. You still have to squeeze the calipers together to disengage the brakes.
Respectfully, I don't think that's true. I can open the lever without squeezing anything else. Maybe mine are more slippery than yours. But if yours require squeezing the calipers, that should make them safe against accidental opening, no?

I can't hardly imagine getting on a bike without giving the brake levers a test-squeeze. Maybe from years in bike shops, test-riding other people's bikes. If you get in that habit, then I think the only real worry is if the QR gets opened while riding, which just seems so dang unlikely.

I do think that style of QR gives an advantage over just disconnecting the straddle on a canti, namely that the brake stays connected, and you can flip the lever down while riding if needed. I don't have them on any bike o' mine currently, but I have in the past, and I liked them. I have never even heard anyone mention a safety issue with them before now, that I can think of.

If I die from forgetting my brake QRs are open, you can put that on my epitaph!