View Single Post
Old 03-14-24, 03:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,339 Posts
Rustoleum Spraying Questions

Not rattle can but proper HVLP gun sprayed. I am beginning my slow learning/reacquaintance with compressor fed spraying. I have chosen Rustoleum brush on canned paint for it's low cost. So much of my lacking is in gun handling technique and I'd like to get better at a spraying sequence too before trying a vastly more expensive paint system. I am very familiar with the reasons to not ride a rough amateur paint job on one's own frame and I am good with doing so, besides Rustoleum will be easier to remove in the future when I decide to revisit this frame and use nice paint.

Right now my first question is about what chemical those who have used Rustoleum have used to clean the gun. The first 3 times I sprayed (primer then a primer/color mix then just color) I used Lacquer Thinner and it didn't seem to dissolve the paint very well. I ended up taking the flow valve needle and packing out of the gun and worked at the residue with Q tips and a lot of elbow time. The last time I sprayed (just yesterday and color only) I used Acetone and that seemed to work better, I don't think I'll need to take that needle valve out this time, but still wonder if there's an even "more aggressive" cleaning agent. With both cleaners I removed the directional/fan cap and the orifice (1.5 or 1.3mm) to get inside the gun.

I am still experimenting with thinning chemicals. Lacquer Thinner worked OK with the primer and paint/primer but less so with just paint. Acetone went far better, quicker to mix (at around 10-15%) and the paint wetted out nicer. Next up will be Mineral Spirits. Before I try spraying, I do a very small batch thinned as I think is right and brush it on a test surface to see how the flow/wet out is, it's tendency to sag/run and how long before it is no longer tacky. The testing I do in the basement as its conditions are pretty constant so comparisons are more valid.

IIRC there was a thread here describing some of the efforts and results of their spraying Rustoleum too. I think the bike (or the main one) was red. Memory fails me but I recall some description of using hardeners, reducers and/or activators. Anyone remember this thread? Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 03-14-24 at 03:32 PM.