Old 03-15-24, 10:51 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cholly
On your road bike, anyone ever go to a fatter tire (28-32ish) and lower psi and then decide that thin is still in?

Are there still those that don't follow the 'science' and CRR stats and say -- I like it firm, thin, and fast (at least the perceived feeling of fast)?

I will certainly agree that wider is more comfortable, but for a go-fast bike where I limit rides to 20-30 miles per ride, on good and bad tarmac -- am I missing something?

Thanks!
I was thinking about this and it's true. On my carbon I got 28mm and it's comfy. But saw video discussing reasons why we do a lot of things. For example wheels are stiffer because they have to resist the force of disc rotors, so they have more spokes etc. Forks are stiffer and reinforced because of the disc brakes are attached to the lower end of the fork where it should be the most compliant. Aero tubes require the frames to be even more stiff and rigid. All these things are reason why people are riding 30-32mm tires to compensate for all these problems created by aero frame and disc brakes.

But ride a vintage steel with steel fork on 23mm tires? Yeah, the 23mm on steel is more compliant and comfy. It is true. It's why my current project is probably going to be renovating my parents old steel. And I'm certain that with 23/25mm, that steel will be more comfortable than my carbon with 28mm.